Lifestyle blogging is a great way to share your thoughts and ideas with the world. It can be about anything you want, including fashion, food, travel, and more. But would you make a good lifestyle blogger and what should you write about? Also, how can you come up with names for a lifestyle blog? I gotchu covered. Here are a few things to consider.
What is Lifestyle Blogging?
Lifestyle blogging is a great way to share your thoughts and ideas with the world. It can be about anything you want, including fashion, food, travel, and more.
The most popular lifestyle blogs typically center around the blogger and cover a semi-niched topic as the blog grows. For example, your favorite home decor blogger might start with DIY tips for thrift store home decor (ahem) but end up branching out into recipes, crafting, plants and gardening, etc.
You might feel overwhelmed at picking just one category of lifestyle blog topics to stick to forever, but don’t sweat that right now. Too many people get focused on SEO, marketing, and things that are more important later down the line. If you want to become a lifestyle blogger, just start blogging and develop the habit of blogging. Fine-tuning comes later.
Would You Make a Good Lifestyle Blogger?
Lifestyle blogging may be fun, but it’s still a lot of hard work. Here are some questions you should ask yourself before jumping into becoming a blogger:
- Do you have a lot of interesting ideas? One of the most difficult parts of blogging is constantly coming up with lifestyle blog post ideas to write about. Can you come up with a list of 12 ideas right now that you could write at least 500 words about? If so, congratulations! You’ve just created 12 blog post topics. I’ve got more lifestyle blog topics below if you need a few more.
- Are you able to take photos that look great and tell a story? Imagery is crucial for lifestyle blogs. If you can’t take great photos, you’ll likely need to hire someone to help you with that. But even if you can take great photos, are you able to edit them well so that your blog content looks its best? Advice: 8 Easy Ways To Improve Your Blog’s Visual Content
- Do you have a strong writing style? In order to be a successful lifestyle blogger, it’s important that your writing is both engaging and enjoyable to read.
- Can you stay on top of social media updates? Social media is one of the fastest-growing channels for bloggers. You need to be on social media regularly in order to keep up with the latest trends and inform your readers about what’s going on in your life and the world around them. Can you do this without becoming overwhelmed? Advice: How to Be Popular on Instagram and Grow Your Business
- Do you have an exciting and unique story to tell? If you’re not sure if lifestyle blogging is right for you, ask yourself if your story is interesting enough to share with a large audience. Can you think of ways to make your blog posts even more engaging for readers?
- Are you able to provide helpful tips and advice? Lifestyle bloggers are often called upon to provide helpful tips and advice on a variety of topics. Are you familiar enough with the latest trends in your field to be able to share valuable insights with your readers?
- Can you handle negative feedback? Negative feedback can be tough to take, but it’s important that lifestyle bloggers know how to handle it gracefully. If someone leaves a negative comment on one of your blog posts, are you able to understand why they might have felt that way? Can you then take the feedback you’ve received and use it to improve your blog posts in the future?
- Are you comfortable writing about your personal life? If you’re not comfortable sharing your personal life with a large audience, lifestyle blogging may not be the right fit for you. However, many bloggers are able to share their personal lives with their readers through blog posts and social media updates.
- Can you stay on top of the latest trends? Keeping up with the latest trends is essential for any blogger, but it can be especially important for lifestyle bloggers who want to provide helpful tips and advice to their readers. Are you familiar enough with the latest fashion trends and beauty products to provide interesting insights into these topics?
- Do you have the time to commit to a full-time blog lifestyle? A full-time blog lifestyle requires a lot of dedication and time from bloggers. Are you willing to commit the time and energy necessary to maintain your blog?
If you answered “yes” to all of the questions, then becoming a lifestyle blogger is definitely for you!
If you’re unable to answer any of the above questions, it may be best for you to reconsider whether a full-time blog lifestyle is right for you. There are many other career options available to bloggers, such as writing for a magazine or publishing their own blog on their own website. If you’re not sure whether lifestyle blogging is the right fit for you, please feel free to reach out to me and we can discuss your specific interests and goals.
Tips for Starting a Lifestyle Blog
There are many different ways to start a lifestyle blog. You can create a blog about something you’re passionate about, like fashion or food. Or, you can create a blog about a topic that interests you but isn’t specific to your lifestyle, like travel or home decorating.
Whatever your blogging goals may be, there are plenty of ideas and resources available to help you get started. Here are just a few:
1. Start with an idea: One of the best ways to start building an audience for your lifestyle blog is by starting with an idea. If you have something specific in mind that you want to write about, it will be much easier to develop content around it. This also ensures that your blog is focused and well-organized from the start. You can branch out later if you want, but just get the ball rolling with one.
2. Get organized: As with any other type of writing outlet, a well-organized blog is key to success. Keep your posts concise and consistent in style, and make sure all the information you include is relevant to your topic. This will help your readers stay focused and improve the overall readability of your blog. Advice: How to Plan a Workflow for Blogging
3. Use images wisely: Images are an important part of any blog, and lifestyle bloggers especially should take advantage of them to supplement their text. Rather than simply including a photo as an afterthought, use it to illustrate a point or add depth to your story.
4. Connect with others: One of the best ways to keep growing your audience for your lifestyle blog is by connecting with other bloggers in your field. Share resources you find useful, offer advice on blog content and connect with potential readers.
5. Find your voice: One of the most important aspects of any blog is finding your voice. This means developing a unique perspective on the topics you write about and using language that resonates with your readers. If you can do this, your blog will be more successful overall.
My Favorite Tools for Lifestyle Blogging
- Greengeeks: I use them as my host for all of my blogs. They’re super cheap and are an eco-friendly company that reduces carbon emissions other hosts typically don’t care about.
- Adobe Lightroom: I’ve tried to use free tools for photo editing but Lightroom is just the best (IMO)
- RelayThat: Creates multiple versions of the same image, saving me a ton of time for making featured images, Pinterest pins, youtube thumbnails, etc.
- DepositPhotos: Excellent stock image repository
- ThemeForest: Where I get my WordPress themes. This one I’m currently using is called The Gem but LOOK! is the one I use on my other blogs.
- Beacon: If you plan to use lead magnets to grow your email list, this one is clutch for getting them done in a jiffy. They’re great to use in conjunction with LeadPages.
- Appsumo: I’d probably recommend staying away because I always find marketing, social media, and productivity apps here to spend money on.
- DPD: Digital Product Delivery. If you want to have paid downloads, they’re the best and SO nice. I’ve talked with them numerous times, those dudes are so wholesome and awesome.
- Play.ht: Uses AI to add audio to any blog post. Excellent for turning blog posts into podcast episodes or making them more ADA-compliant.
Want even more? Here are my eight favorite free resources for blogging.
How to Think of Names for a Lifestyle Blog
Would you believe this is one of the hardest parts of blogging? It’s true! Coming up with unique names for a lifestyle blog can be difficult, but it’s a key part of building an audience and identity for your blog.
There are a few things to keep in mind when naming your blog:
1. Make sure the name is catchy: Your name should be easy to remember and inspire interest.
2. Be creative: If you’re looking for a more unusual name, go for it! You might be surprised at how well it works.
3. Avoid trademarked names: If you’re planning on selling products or services through your blog, make sure the name you choose isn’t already being used by someone else. This includes using brand names or trademarks without permission (even if they’re not actually registered).
4. Use family names sparingly: Unless you have a really unique surname, stick to using family names sparingly. If you do use a family name, make sure it’s pronounced the same way all over the world. Also, while I hate to say this, consider that your name may change for the better (marriage) or worse (divorce).
5. Consider using your location: If you blog from a particular city or country, consider using that name as your blog’s title. For example, if you blog about travel in Paris, France, you might call your blog “Paris Lifestyle.”
6. Consider including a slogan: A catchy phrase or two can help define your brand and attract readers. Try something like “Live life boldly” or “Find joy in every moment.”
7. Choose a URL that reflects your content: When people see your blog’s URL, they’ll know right away what kind of content to expect. Make sure the URL is easy to remember and fits with the overall tone of your blog.
8. Put your title together as one word to ensure it works as a URL: Another thing about the URL is to ensure that smushing multiple words together as one doesn’t create confusion. For example, (apologies if this is a real blog) say I wanted to start a travel blog about my adventure and call it “Megan All Over.” If I were to buy that domain it would have a URL of meganallover.com Meg. Anal. Lover. Definitely not the intended subject.
9. Check to see if the social media handles are available: You wouldn’t believe how frustrating it is to do all the hard work only to find out your social media handles are already taken.
10. Don’t follow trends too much: For a long time, lifestyle blogs typically followed a pattern of [cute] & [tongue-in-cheek] alliteration such as (again, sorry if this is a real blog) “Cupcakes & Combovers.” The issue stems from the trendiness of the word flow. When you’re starting out, it’s especially difficult to stand out. Following trends simply for the sake of being trendy won’t do you any benefit as you try to get a foothold in the marketplace. This also goes back to Point 1: Your name should be easy to remember. If you’re doing the same thing as everyone else, it’ll make it hard to remember your blog from 57 others.
11. Make sure it’s easy to spell: When people type in your blog’s URL, they want to be able to find it easily. I made this mistake a few times and believe me, it’s worth just making the title as simple as possible. People are lazy; the more difficult it is to remember how to spell the blog the harder it’ll be to keep readers coming back.
17 Blog Post Ideas for Lifestyle Bloggers
If you need a few ideas for what to write about, here’s a good list of blog post ideas for lifestyle bloggers to get you started.
- How to style your home for a comfortable and chic lifestyle
- How to make your living space more efficient and organized
- Tips for creating a stylish home office
- Ideas for affordable, easy-to-access fashion trends
- How to entertain in a minimalistic way
- 10 easy steps to a more sustainable lifestyle
- How to cook like a professional chef without spending a fortune
- 5 hacks for living a stress-free life
- How to make your home a cool and comfortable place to be
- How to decorate your space for a simple, stylish look
- 5 easy tips for organizing your closet
- How to reduce home stress and improve your mental health
- 10 easy ways to save money on groceries
- How to make your home a more comfortable place to be
- Tips for reducing home clutter
- How to declutter your home in under an hour
- 5 easy DIY tips for organizing your kitchen
Want even more blog post ideas for lifestyle bloggers? I’ve got an entire book that has over two years’ worth of content topics! Check out What to Write When You’ve Got Nothing to Say.
What are the Best Practices for Lifestyle Blogging?
Here are some tips for successful lifestyle blogging:
1. Be true to yourself: When you start a blog, be honest about who you are and what you care about. This will help your readers connect with you on a personal level, and they’ll be more likely to return to your blog regularly.
2. Write about what you know: Don’t try to write from a position of authority if you don’t have any real-world experience to back up your claims. Instead, focus on writing about topics that are relevant to your readers and share information that they can use.
3. Keep things fresh: As with all types of writing, keeping your blog fresh is key to success. Each month, update it with new content, including new photos, videos, and blog posts. This will keep your readers coming back for more, and they’ll appreciate the change of pace.
4. Connect with your readers: One of the best ways to promote your blog is to connect with your readers on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. Share articles and blog posts that you think they’ll find interesting, and ask them questions about their lives. This will help you build a relationship with them, and they’ll be more likely to recommend your blog to their friends.
How to Grow Your Audience for Lifestyle Blogging
I have an entire guide about making a full-time income blogging and another about diversifying your income streams, but here’s a quick runover of what you should do to start growing your audience and monetizing your blog.
- Make use of search engines: One of the most important ways to reach your blog’s audience is through search engine optimization (SEO). By optimizing your content for SEO, you can make sure that your blog appears first when people are searching for information on a specific topic. This will help you attract more readers, and they’ll appreciate the valuable information that you provide.
- Promote your blog using social media: As mentioned earlier, one of the best ways to promote your blog is to connect with your readers on social media platforms like Twitter and Facebook. Share interesting articles and blog posts that you think they’ll find interesting, and ask them questions about their lives. This will help you build a relationship with them, and they’ll be more likely to recommend your blog to their friends.
- Offer free content: Another way to promote your blog is to offer free content in the form of eBooks, short articles, or video tutorials. This will help you attract new readers, and they’ll appreciate the valuable information that you provide.
- Increase traffic to your blog using guest posts: One way to increase traffic to your blog is by inviting other bloggers who share similar interests to write guest posts for your blog. This will help you expand your audience, and they’ll appreciate the valuable information that you provide.
- Hold contests: One way to increase traffic to your blog is by holding contests that offer great prizes to the winners. This will attract new readers, and they’ll appreciate the valuable information that you provide in addition to the prize.
- Stay consistent: Another key element to successful blog promotion is consistency. Make sure that you publish a new article every week, and make sure that the content is valuable and interesting to your readers. This will help you build a loyal following, and they’ll be more likely to recommend your blog to their friends.
- Explore monetization: One way to promote your blog and make a profit is by exploring monetization options such as ads, sponsorships, and merchandise sales. This will help you generate revenue, and they’ll appreciate the valuable information that you provide in addition to the profit. Advice: How Bloggers Make Money
As you can see, lifestyle blogging is a great way to express yourself and share your ideas with the world. Follow these best practices to create successful content that will engage your audience, brainstorm a few names for a lifestyle blog you think you’ll like, and always be on the look out for new blog post ideas for lifestyle bloggers to help you grow your blog.