Email marketing is a great way to connect with customers and grow your business. In this guide, I’ll show you the best practices with my how to grow your email 2022 guide with tactics that still work.
How to grow your email: 2022 guide
Step 1: Choose the Right Type of Email Marketing Strategy
There are three main types of email marketing strategy:
1. Organic email marketing – This type of marketing relies on your customers’ contact information (name, address, etc.) to find them. If you’re not spamming people, you’re doing this type of marketing right!
2. Pay-per-click email marketing – This type of marketing involves placing ads with links that take people to your website or landing page. When someone clicks on one of these ads, you earn money.
3. Custom (segmented) email campaigns – With custom email campaigns, you can create and send variations of the original message to different groups of people. This way, you can reach more people and increase the chances that they’ll open and read your message.
Each type of email marketing has its own benefits and drawbacks. Choose the type that best fits your business and target audience!
Step 2: Plan Your Email Marketing Strategy For 2022
Now that you know the basics about how to grow your email list in 2022, it’s time to plan out a strategy! Here are some important factors to consider:
1. Frequency – How often should you send messages? Every week? Twice a month? Once a quarter? It all depends on how frequently your subscribers are likely to open and read emails from you (and whether they’re interested in what you have to say!). Test out different frequencies until you find one that works best for the business goals you’ve set!
2. Content Formatting – Just like with social media posts, formatting matters when it comes to emails too! Make sure everything from the title bar down is neatly formatted so that readers can easily understand what’s inside the message box (and convert more easily). [Note: Be sure not to overdo it though — no one wants an overly formal email!]
3. CTA Buttons & Links – As I mentioned earlier, adding CTAs (links that take readers away from the message) and buttons (to encourage signups or downloads) makes signing up for your email list much easier! Plus, these elements can be customized to match the look and feel of the business’ website or blog.
4. Engagement & Follow-Up – Once you’ve built a strong email list and sent out great content regularly, it’s important to make sure subscribers are engaged! This means following up with them periodically to see what’s new, whether you’re offering helpful tips or just keeping them in the loop about what’s happening with your business.
5. More Than Just Email Marketing – As we all know, email marketing is only one part of a successful email marketing strategy! Make sure you also have an eye on social media (and other online channels), blog content, and other forms of promotion in order to reach as many people as possible. The more diverse the approach, the better — after all, everyone responds differently to different marketing messages!
Step 3: Create your perfect freebie to entice sign-ups
Creating a freebie that’s relevant to your audience and easy to download is key to getting more people onto your email list. Here are four email list freebie ideas to get you started:
1. Send a Free e-Book – One of the best ways to grow your email list is by giving away valuable content! Offer an e-book, whitepaper, or other guide that helps people learn more about your business or product. This way, they know they’re getting something valuable in exchange for their Email address.
2. Giveaway Prizes – Another great way to get people signed up for your email list is through giveaways! Offer prizes like free products, coupons, or even travel opportunities for those who sign up first. The possibilities are endless — so long as you make it easy for subscribers to enter and keep them interested in the giveaway throughout the process.
3. Offering Feeds & Exclusive Content – Finally, another great way to get people signed up for your email list is by providing exclusive content (or feeds) only available to subscribers. This can be anything from blog posts and white papers to exclusive update notifications and behind-the-scenes looks at your company. It’s a great way to show subscribers that you value their feedback and keep them informed about what’s happening at your business.
4. Making it Easy To Subscribe – One of the most important things you can do when building an email list is making it easy for people to subscribe! This means having clear unsubscribe instructions, keeping subscriber information private, and making it easy (and fun!)to sign up for new lists and newsletters. There’s no better way to build loyalty among your audience than by giving them what they want!
Step 4: Create Engaging Emails
Now that you’ve built your list, it’s time to start sending engaging emails that will keep people subscribed and interested.
1. Send Regular Updates – One of the best ways to keep subscribers interested is by sending regular updates (or “newsletters”). These should contain interesting content, fresh ideas for giveaways, and information about what’s going on at your business.
2. Use Images & Videos – Another great way to keep people engaged is by using images and videos. Not only are they visually appealing, but they can also be used to powerfully communicate your message.
3. Use Social Media Links – Finally, don’t forget to include links to social media platforms in your newsletters and updates! This is a great way to connect with potential customers who may not have visited your website yet.
Step 5: Use A/B Testing To Test Your Emails
Now that you know how to grow your email list and send engaging emails, it’s time to test different strategies to see which works best for your business.
1. Use A/B Testing To Test Different Message Ideas – One of the best ways to test different message ideas is to use A/B testing. This technique allows you to compare two different versions of an email (including content, images, and videos) and see which one results in the highest response rate.
2. Use A/B Testing To Test Different Engagement Strategies – Another great way to test different engagement strategies is to use A/B testing. This technique allows you to compare two different versions of a newsletter (including social media links, images, and videos) and see which one results in the highest response rate.
3. Use A/B Testing To Test Different Email Address Forms – Another great way to test different email address forms is to use A/B testing. This technique allows you to compare two different versions of a sign-up form (including contact information, images, and videos) and see which one results in the highest response rate.
Step 6: Analyze and Optimize Your Results
Once you have tested your different message ideas, engagement strategies, and email address forms, it’s time to analyze and optimize your results. This involves determining which message ideas, engagement strategies, and email address forms are working best for your business and audience.
After analyzing your results, you may find that one specific message idea, engagement strategy, or email address form is more effective than the others. In that case, you can switch to using that message idea, engagement strategy, or email address form from now on. Alternatively, you may find that all of the different message ideas, engagement strategies, and email address forms are working equally well. In that case, you can keep using them all together as a baseline for future campaigns.
Step 7: Ask your followers for referrals
If you’ve done things right then you should have not only a large list but a heavily-engaged list of email subscribers. Now it’s time to utilize that to your advantage by asking your readers to bring in new subscribers. There are a few different ways to do this:
-Post a call to action on your blog or social media page asking readers to sign up for your email list
-Send out an email directly to your followers asking them to recommend your blog or subscribe to your email list with specific posts (make it easy for them to share)
-Host a contest in which readers can win a free thing for referring traffic. I use Prefinery, an app that gives my readers an ongoing tally of people they refer via a custom URL. If they refer enough people, they get free coaching sessions from me as a thanks.
The key is to make sure that you ask for referrals in a way that is relevant and interesting to your audience. This will help you build trust and credibility with them, making it easier for them to refer others in the future.
So there you have it — my favorite tips for how to grow your email in 2022 and beyond! Remember: Testing is key when it comes to finding the right mix of frequency, content formatting, CTA buttons and links, engagement & follow-up tactics, and overall promotional strategy. So get started today and see how great you can do!